How to apply for a Smart ID in South Africa online
To apply for a Smart ID, you can follow these steps via eHomeAffairs website
- Visit the eHomeAffairs application portal on an internet-enabled device.
- Click Go to Registration and create your profile with your personal details, password and security questions.
- Click Apply for Smart ID and capture your application details. Proofread to ascertain their correctness.
- Attach supporting documents such as your ID book, birth certificate or marriage certificate.
- You will be redirected to the payment page. Pay R140 for the Smart ID card using your bank card or internet banking.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS or email with a reference number.
- Book an appointment at your nearest Home Affairs or bank branch that offers the service.
- Go to the branch on the appointed date and time with your reference number and biometric data such as fingerprints and photos will be captured.
- You will receive another SMS or email when your Smart ID is ready for collection.
Apply for a Smart ID in South Africa in a branch
information on How to apply for a Smart ID
- Eligibility: You must be a South African citizen or permanent resident to apply for a Smart ID.
- Documents required: You will need to bring the following documents to your Smart ID application appointment:
- A certified copy of your birth certificate or South African ID
- Two recent ID photographs for smart id
- Proof of address (such as a utility bill or bank statement)
- If you are a first-time applicant, you will need to bring your old green barcoded ID or an affidavit explaining why you do not have it.
- Booking an appointment for Smart ID in South Africa: You can book an appointment for your Smart ID application online through the Department of Home Affairs’ eChannel portal or by visiting your nearest Department of Home Affairs office.
- Fees: The cost of a Smart ID is currently R140, but this is subject to change.
- Processing time: The Department of Home Affairs states that the processing time for a Smart ID is approximately 14 working days from the date of application.
- Collection: Once your Smart ID application is ready, you will receive an SMS notifying you to collect it from the office where you applied.